Tell the truth,
Did you ever love math while in school?
Or did you liken math to an evil demon unleashed to terrorize the minds of children.
A young spirited lady and her committee have found a way to cage that demon for you and your ward.
We introduce Kids and Math Project with an Alias ArithMass (Arithmetic to the Masses) which serves as the projects nickname . Kids and Math was birthed when Princess Allotey volunteered as a Math Teaching Assistant at Childtime Preparatory School and realized, the negative attitude the students had towards Math when she had been in basic school, had survived till then. To curb the negative concept about Math being difficult and unnecessary, she set up a team comprising seven youth (a make up of high school and tertiary students) who saw themselves as avid stakeholders of the educational system, namely:
Ali Sumaila, Arnold Atchoe, Ato Apenkwah, Reuben Idan, Bruno Edoh, Prince Odartey and Princess Allotey herself.
The current leadership comprises 11 passionate youth:
Princess Allotey, Arnold Atchoe, Ato Apenkwah, Reuben Idan, Prince Odartey, Peter Nortey, Obed Baah, Daniel Terkpetey, Richmond Tetteh, Enoch Agbo and Samuel Boateng
They also double as heads of committees (ArithTeam Members) which consists of volunteers (ArithVolunteers) and the students. The team can currently boast over 70 volunteers from all walks of life.
The vision of the project is to help children realize and appreciate the versatility of Mathematics. They expect a gradual concept change towards Mathematics, a growing passion towards Mathematics and a willingness to explore this field in the development of Ghana by the general populace.
a) To teach Mathematics in a more practical and versatile way to basic school children in Ghana; focusing more on topics students have problems with in Mathematics
b) To provide Math books and other learning materials to basic school children in Ghana
c) To teach school children intelligible and smart ways of solving mathematics questions
d) To form an Arithmass Math Club in every beneficiary school .
The team has already choked many feats and some are cited below.
- In February 2016, the group donated 133 books to students of Childtime Preparatory School
- The group has began organizing Weekly Math Club Meetings with the students of Childtime School and Ashaiman Presbyterian School.
- The group organizes Termly Interclass quizzes with the students of the beneficiary schools .
- The group has encouraged participating students to write Math Autobiographies and holds One-on-One sessions with students to monitor their progress.
- Kids and Math also donated 100 books to the Ashaiman Presbyterian School on December 8th, 2015 .
- The Project won first place at the 2nd Accra Soup Dinner and received grants to spur the initiative.
- Finally, Kids and Math partnered with Young At Heart Ghana on 13th February 2016, to organize an ICT Outreach for students of Childtime Preparatory School.
ArithOut is the out-door of the beautiful brainchild, Kids and Math, of these young and spirited individuals who are seeking to change the status quo by making Mathematics a subject that will be loved and embraced by the populace.
We invite you to enroll your wards on this wonderful project which would enable them to love Math.
Contact Kids And Math
Princess Allotey-ArithOut Coordinator
Ibrahim Adam- ArithOut Coordinator